Me

My photo
Searching for enlightenment - and a good cup of coffee.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Tucson: Food Paradise

Ok. I feel the need to express my love for Tucson's food scene. It's been very good to me and my friends during our stay. I"m gonna rattle off some of the things we've experienced.

Frost: Gelato place. Put quite simply: amazing. They're starting franchise opportunities. If you have extra money laying around, don't hesitate. You'll make a fortune.

Ra Sushi: Probably some of the best sushi I've ever had. The Lobster mango roll was so light and fresh. The King Crab roll was stellar, and the Pork Gyozas were out of the park. Having eaten there three times with several different friends, I can safely say that everything we tried was sensational.

El Charro: The birthplace of the chimichanga, and rightly so. Tiger shrimp, roasted corn, bacon, white queso. Delish. And the salsa was the best I've tasted. Ever.

Rosa's: Kylee and I ate at this little hole-in-the-wall place. OMG. The salsa had so much garlic in it... and I love garlic. I ordered everything a-la-carte. One cheese enchilada, one chicken enchilada, one green corn tamale and one chicken flauta. It all sounds like normal Mexican fare, but it was so not normal. The flavors were so spot on - subtle, without smacking you in the face. Nice. And the sopapillas.... yum.

Cafe Poca Cosa: I had high expectations after reading all the good things about this place. And I wasn't disappointed. It had been featured in all kind of magazines and periodicals. NY Times, etc. I had the Chicken Mole, Kylee and Neil had the combo platter that had a chicken dish, steak dish and eggplant dish. All of them were great. The big surprise for me was the beans. They weren't refried... but borracho style. I'm used to beans being a little grainy... but these melted in your mouth. So good. And the salsa was also amazing. A very close second to that of El Charro's.

El Guero Canelo: This place was featured on Man Vs Food. I had to go and get the Sonoran style hot dog. It was a hot dog wrapped in bacon, topped with beans, mayo, ketchup, mustard and a jalapeno sauce. So good. Also had a steak quesadilla that was so full of flavor.

So, Tucson, I tip my hat to thee. You have thoroughly impressed a well-traveled foodie. Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment